In the pre-MegaGlest era, Glest required the use of an IP address in order to perform a multiplayer game. The IRC was generally used as the meeting place to find other players and exchange IP addresses in order to play together. When MegaGlest came out with its master server, the majority of multiplayer gameplay shifted to that, due to the ease of use and increased players. In late 2010, MegaGlest added an IRC to the multiplayer lobby, allowing for discussion pre-game.
Official IRC Channels:Edit
- #glest (Main chat)
- #megaglest (MegaGlest chat)
- #glest-de (German chat)
- #glest-modding (Modding chat)
- #megaglest-lobby (Lobby for MegaGlest multiplayer games. This is generally automatically connected to by MegaGlest when playing multiplayer)
Connecting to IRCEdit
Using Freenode WebchatEdit
- Choose a nickname (this can be changed later using the command /nick your_name)
- Type the name of the channel you would like to join (including the "#". eg: "#glest")
- Type the reCAPTCHA text
- Click connect
Using an IRC-clientEdit
- Connect to server irc.freenode.net. This can be done with the command /server irc.freenode.net
- Join the desired channel. This is done by using the command /join #channel (eg: /join #glest will join the primary channel).